Abstract Ref Number = APCP244
Endoscopic Management of Button Battery Ingestion in the Upper Gastrointestinal Tract of a Child
Eva Jeumpa Soelaeman, Budi Purnomo, Ariani Dewi Widodo
Gastrohepatology Working Group, Department of Pediatrics, Harapan Kita Women and Children Hospital, Jakarta
Background Button battery ingestion is common in small children and it is associated with serious morbidity and possible mortality. It can cause esophageal injury and may require immediate endoscopic removal.
Case A 1-year-old boy was admitted to the hospital after swallowing a button battery a few hours before admission. Patient was not dyspneic, no cyanosis respiratory rate 30x/min, heart rate 130x/min, and no retraction, no rhales, wheezing, nor stridor. However the patient coughed considerably and had difficulties in feeding. Endoscopy was performed as a diagnostic as well as therapeutic method. Foreign body (button battery) was found atthe 1/3 proximal part of esophagus with signs of erosion from corrosive substances. It was then being removedendoscopically using alligator forceps. Sucralphate 3x5 mL anddexamethasone 3x2mg was prescribed before discharge. Two weeks later the patient was re-evaluated and esophageal mucosa has been completely healed without any signs of erosion.
Learning Points Patients with foreign body impacted in the esophagus, especially button battery, should be referred to an appropriate center for urgent endoscopic retrieval. At the time of endoscopy, the esophagus should be assessed for evidences of injury (such as mucosal burns, necrosis or perforation), and further management could differ based on the findings during endoscopy.
Keywords: endoscopy button battery foreign body ingestion esophagus